Legal Assistant - Litigation
Washington, DC 20005 | Legal Assistant
One of the area's top global law firms is looking for a legal assistant with at least one year of legal experience to join their team. This position requires a degree and one year of current legal assistant experience.
The Legal Assistant will provide attorneys, members of the litigation practice group and other professional staff with diversified clerical, administrative, and case support by handling complex tasks and projects, with limited supervision, throughout all phases and aspects of Litigation/Corporate work.
- Handles complex projects independently and keeps attorneys and other members of the group apprised of status.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Ensures that all files are maintained.
- Assists with the preparation and/or filing of pleadings, court papers, registration documents, forms, etc., as needed.
- Assists with retrieval of rules, regulations, and company profiles, as needed.
- Assists with document productions, transactions, and/or closings.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials, and/or client meetings.
- Proofreads briefs, memoranda of law, opinions, and other documents.
- Performs cross-reference and defined terms checks, as needed.
- Pulls cases, shepardizes briefs, and handles or coordinates cite-checking, as needed.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other media and financial service sites, and/or other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Updates attorney and case/deal team binders.
- Manages databases.
Please apply for this position if you have the following:
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to navigate various electronic databases and document repositories.
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools, including the Internet. Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and court-related websites and/or media and financial services.
- Ability to work overtime and to travel as required.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet operating needs.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum of one year of experience in a legal assistant position or a position requiring similar skill set, expertise, and experience.
NRI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.