Legal Assistant - Litigation
District of Columbia, DC 20005
Large downtown DC law firm is in search of an experienced Legal Assistant. Legal Assistant provides attorneys, and other professional staff with diversified clerical, administrative, and case support by handling complex tasks and projects throughout all phases and aspects of Litigation/Corporate work.
Duties include: Handle complex projects with limited supervision; organizes and manages electronic and paper files; ensures that all files are maintained within department-approved protocols and case management systems; maintains the integrity of client files; assists with the preparation and/or filing of pleadings, court papers, registration documents, forms, etc., as needed; assists with retrieval of rules, regulations, and company profiles; assists with document productions, transactions, and/or closings; assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials, and/or client meetings; proofreads briefs, memoranda of law, opinions, and other documents; performs cross-reference and defined terms checks; pulls cases, shepardizes briefs, and handles or coordinates cite-checking; performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other media and financial service sites, and/or other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc; updates attorney and case/deal team binders; manages databases and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of one year of experience in a legal assistant position.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to navigate various electronic databases and document repositories.
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools, including the Internet. Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and court-related websites and/or media and financial services.
- Ability to work overtime and to travel as required.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet operating needs.
NRI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.